Medicare Item Reports
DHS has undertaken a server upgrade to the Medicare Statistics web pages. Please note the new link http://medicarestatistics.humanservices.gov.au/statistics which will take you to the new server.
About MBS Item Statistics Reports
- These reports produce statistics on requested items in the Medicare Benefits Schedule.
- To obtain the statistics, enter the item number/s and choose from the drop-down menus in fields on the form. Then click the 'Create Report' button to submit your request.
- There are "drill down" links on the generated report that will produce a report by patient age range and gender.
About MBS Item by Patient Demographics Reports
- These reports produce patient age range and gender, per capita and percentage statistics on an item in the Medicare Benefits Schedule.
- To obtain the statistics, enter the item number and choose from the drop-down menus in fields on the form. Then click the 'Create Report' button to submit your request.
About MBS Item Charts
- These reports produce time series graphs of requested items in the Medicare Benefits Schedule.
- To obtain the chart, enter the item number/s and choose from the drop-down menus in fields on the form. Then click the 'Create Report' button to submit your request.
- Your report may take up to 2 minutes to be created and returned to you, depending on the work load of the server and the volume of traffic on the internet.
- If you have requested statistics for an old item number it will be mapped to its current item number and presented as this in the report. For example, item 65132 (test for the presence of antithrombin III deficiency ...) was renumbered to item 65175 on the 1/11/2006. If you have requested item 65132 for the 2006/07 financial year, then the report will sum all 65132 and 65175 items in that period and report them as item 65175. If you have requested item 65132 for an earlier period (eg. calendar 2004), the services will also be reported as their current equivalent item (ie. 65175). This is so that the item description can be looked up in the current MBS book or MBS online (maintained by the Department of Health and Ageing).
- The figures in the report include only those services that are performed by a registered provider, for services that qualify for Medicare Benefit and for which a claim has been processed by Medicare Australia. They do not include services provided by hospital doctors to public patients in public hospitals or services that qualify for a benefit under the Department of Veterans' Affairs National Treatment Account.
- State/Territory is determined according to the address (at the time of claiming) of the patient to whom the service was rendered.
- Month is determined by the date the service was processed by Medicare Australia, not the date the service was provided.
- Monthly figures may vary due to the varying number of processing days in a month, which depends on the number of days in the month, public holidays, overtime worked etc.
- Services/benefit per capita (ie. per 100,000 population) is calculated by dividing the number of services/benefit processed in a month by the number of people enrolled in Medicare at the end of that month.
- A financial year is 1 July to 30 June.
- This page is best printed in landscape mode.
- Instructions on how to download the statistics into a spreadsheet are contained in Downloading Statistical Information.
The information and data contained in the reports and tables have been provided by Medicare Australia for general information purposes only. While Medicare Australia takes care in the compilation and provision of the information and data, it does not assume or accept any liability for the accuracy, quality, suitability and currency of the information or data, or for any reliance on the information or data. Medicare Australia recommends that users exercise their own care, skill and diligence with respect to the use and interpretation of the information and data.
Last updated: 25 February 2015